Main Street Music Scene with D'Anise Kinsman


THE MAIN STREET MUSIC SCENE
As seen in the November 2009 Issue

Singer: EMMA-LEE

By D’Anise Kinsman


How does ‘Romantic’ actually sound? The beauty of romance is something we seem to search for in life and after entering into the Hard Rock Café at the Annual TIFF Music Café in Toronto, I can actually now say “WOW, I’ve heard it!”

Every year for the past 5, The Canadian Music Café showcases some of the most incredible Canadian Talent during The Toronto Independent Film Festival (TIFF). Music Directors, Supervisors and Film Delegates from around the world gather round to enjoy the new music from our rising Canadian stars.

My Media Crew and I were there on the scene, capturing live performances and mingling through the crowds of today’s new music industry. Ms. Emma-Lee stepped up onto the stage. No flashy colours or fancy costumes, just a girl and her guitar. When Emma began to speak about one of the songs she was about to perform, I stopped dead in my tracks. She went on to tell the old man in the front row and the crowd around me, which seemed to blur around my view, as I just ‘listened’. She told us about the guy who left her in her apartment as he went off to pursue other endeavors and set up residence miles away from her.

The story seeped into my soul and I felt the emotions of her passion for that memory, holding back a tear or two. Then….she ‘sang’. Her voice brings me to a place that felt like I was standing live in front of a Patsy Cline or a KD Lang all wrapped up into one beautiful package. You don’t even hear the words at this point, you just feel something beautiful.

Through the first few songs, I almost forgot I was here for the Music Café and felt more like I was there for an Emma-Lee concert! A beautiful feeling entered the room that day and left its imprint in the walls forever!

Talking with Emma after the show in our interview, I realized she also has a great sense of humour as she told me to join her in a ‘puckered up fish lip pose’ for the camera!

I imagine Emma-Lee will soon be gracing the stages with Artists like Diana Krall, KD Lang and the Sarah McLachlan’s of the world. Her CD titled ‘Never Just a Dream’ teaches us all that in order to achieve them, you’ve got to realize them as ‘real’ in order to make them happen.

‘Never Just a Dream’…words to live by Emma-Lee!
Official Emma-Lee website: www.emma-lee.com